Meri-Katriina Pyhäranta has extensive understanding of the energy market through several years of work experience in the energy field. She has actively participated in different energy working groups and future energy strategy and policy work contributing to developing and decarbonising the energy market at both national and EU level. She advises Finnish and international companies on all aspects of energy regulation and has wide experience in cooperating and negotiating with different interest groups in the energy field, including producers, traders, system operators, investors, governmental institutions, and landowners. Prior to joining Hannes Snellman, Meri-Katriina worked as a senior advisor at the Energy Authority where she was responsible for monitoring the Finnish natural gas market and carrying out various other regulatory tasks appointed to national regulatory authorities. Meri-Katriina is one of the leading legal experts in natural gas market regulation in Finland and has in-depth knowledge of evolving energy regulation concerning hydrogen and e-fuels.
Meri-Katriina holds a Doctor of Laws / LL.D. degree and LL.M. degree in energy law and policy from the University of Eastern Finland. She has been a visiting scholar at top US and UK universities in her area of expertise and has published articles in internationally recognised academic journals. Her doctoral dissertation covers regulatory questions concerning cooperation between energy companies and landowners in energy production.
Gasgrid Finland Oy
Counsel to Gasgrid Finland Oy in connecting Hamina LNG terminal to the Finnish natural gas transmission network
Value not public
Counsel to Gasgrid Finland Oy
Gasgrid Finland Oy, Excelerate Energy
Gasgrid Finland Oy's chartering of an LNG Floating Storage and Regasification Unit from Excelerate Energy.
EUR 460 million
Counsel to Gasgrid Finland Oy
- Award-winning article "State ownership of petroleum resources: an obstacle to shale gas development in the UK?" published in Journal of World Energy Law and Business and recognized by the Association of International Energy Negotiators
- ASLA-Fulbright Scholarship, 2016–2017
- State ownership of petroleum resources: an obstacle to shale gas development in the UK?
Journal of World Energy Law and Business, June 2017
- Reforms in UK shale gas regulation: better prospects for investors? 25 (2) European Energy and Environmental Law Review, 2016
- EU:n energiatehokkuussääntely – Viimeaikaisia kehityslinjoja ja täytäntöönpano Suomessa, Defensor Legis 2/2016
Education and Professional Background
- Counsel, Hannes Snellman, 2021–
- Doctor of Laws, University of Eastern Finland, 2020
- Visiting Research Scholar, Tulane University, Louisiana (USA), 2019
- Senior Adviser, Energy Authority, 2017–2020
- Visiting Research Scholar (ASLA-Fulbright Scholarship), University of Texas, Austin (USA), 2016-2017
- Visiting Research Scholar, University of Aberdeen, Scotland, 2015
- Researcher, University of Eastern Finland, 2014–2017
- LL.M. in European and International Energy Law and Policy, University of Eastern Finland, 2013
- Associate, Krogerus Attorneys, 2013–2014
- Junior Legal Adviser and HR Coordinator, Ernst & Young, 2011–2012
- Master of Laws, University of Helsinki, 2011